Prosecutors drop case against Paul Simon and Edie Brickell

Prosecutors drop case against Paul Simon and Edie Brickell

NO CHARGES:Paul Simon and his wife, singer Edie Brickell, during a May court appearance. Photo: Associated Press

By Richard Weizel

MILFORD Conn. (Reuters) – Prosecutors have decided not to go forward with disorderly conduct charges against Grammy Award-winning musicians Paul Simon and Edie Brickell after the couple had a shoving match in April at their Connecticut home, a court clerk said on Tuesday.

Simon, 72, and Brickell, 48, who married in 1992, were not present at Norwalk Superior Court on Tuesday. At a hearing last month, the couple had told Judge William Wenzel that the spat was atypical of their relationship and that they posed no threat to one another.

The charges were filed against the couple after New Canaan police were called to a cottage on their property in the wealthy Connecticut suburb on April 26.

On Tuesday, prosecutors said that they would not pursue the charges although they would reserve the right to reopen the case if the couple are arrested or charged again within the next 13 months, Deputy Court Clerk Emmy Kalmanidis said.

Wenzel accepted the prosecution’s decision to drop the case at a hearing on Tuesday afternoon.

Simon had attempted to leave the cottage, Brickell blocked the door and the incident escalated into a shoving match, their attorney said.

Simon was given a Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award in 2003 for his work as part of the duo Simon and Garfunkel, which produced hits including “The Sound of Silence,” and is a member of the Songwriters Hall of Fame.

Brickell, best known for the 1988 hit “What I Am,” released by Edie Brickell & New Bohemians, won a Grammy this year with comedian Steve Martin for their bluegrass song “Love Has Come for You.”

(Editing by Jonathan Allen, Jim Loney and Will Dunham)

Recent Headlines

in Entertainment

HOLIDAY TV: What to watch this week


This week is packed with programs to get you in the holiday spirit.

in Entertainment

Bono, Clooney, Kardashian part of all-star campaign for AIDS

FILE - In this March 2, 2014 file photo, Bono arrives at the Oscars at the Dolby Theatre in Los Angeles. A New York City doctor says U2 singer Bono suffered multiple fractures and had to have two surgeries after his weekend bicycle accident. Orthopedic trauma surgeon Dr. Dean Lorich says Bono underwent a five-hour surgery on his elbow in which three plates and 18 screws were inserted on Sunday night. Bono had another surgery to repair a fracture to his left pinkie on Monday. Lorich says Bono will need therapy but a full recovery is expected.

Bono is a launching an all-star campaign featuring "once-in-a-lifetime experiences" like walking the red carpet with Meryl Streep or visiting the "Game of Thrones" set.

in Entertainment

WHAT’S ON: New on Netflix, Amazon & Hulu in December


Get your remotes ready for a new round of binge-worthy movies and TV.

in Music

Mexican Beatles fans attempt costume record


Music fans in Mexico sought to break the world record for gathering together the largest number of people dressed as members of iconic band The Beatles.

in Music

Chris Brown donating album proceeds to charity


The singer is giving a children's hospital a big boost by donating proceeds from his new album "Royalty" to the organization.