News

Cemetery removes Iraq vet’s ‘SpongeBob’ gravestone

Cemetery removes Iraq vet’s ‘SpongeBob’ gravestone

TOMBSTONE CONTROVERSY: Kimberly Walker's SpongeBob tombstone is causing a controversy at a Cincinnati-area cemetery. Photo: Associated Press

tombstoneAmanda Lee Myers, Associated Press

CINCINNATI (AP) — Officials at a cemetery that removed a slain Iraq war veteran’s “SpongeBob SquarePants” headstone are planning to meet with the soldier’s family to explore possible solutions.

Kimberly Walker’s headstone was made in the likeness of the popular cartoon character and erected at Spring Grove Cemetery in Cincinnati on Oct. 10.

Her family says they were told to remove it the next day even though the cemetery previously approved the design.

The family says they’re beyond distraught.

They say the towering $13,000 headstone was perfect for Walker, who loved “SpongeBob.”

Walker was killed in Colorado earlier this year, allegedly by her boyfriend.

Spring Grove President Gary Freytag says the headstone was approved by an employee who made “an error in judgment.”

Officials will meet with Walker’s family on Tuesday.

Recent Headlines

in Entertainment

Today in entertainment history: Sept. 2

rock2

A look back at some of Hollywood's most memorable headlines.

in Music

Shania Twain can’t stop, won’t stop

22-overlay

The superstar's first tour in 11 years was expected to be her last, but it appears that may have changed.

in Music

Janet Jackson kicks off world tour

16-overlay2

The "Rhythm Nation" hitmaker took the stage in an all-white ensemble and was joined by a group of young girls — her "JTribe" — to perform classic hits and songs from her upcoming 11th album, "Unbreakable."

in Entertainment

Nicholas Hoult to take on J.D. Salinger in new biopic

nicholashoult

The British actor will portray the beloved American author in "Rebel in the Rye."

in Entertainment

‘Spectre’ could be Daniel Craig’s last ‘Bond’ movie

danielcraig

The British star, whose turn in "Spectre" marks his fourth time playing 007, has now admitted he has no current plans to appear in another Bond movie